In trap, the shooting is done from five adjacent positions in a crescent-shaped formation 16 or more yards behind the “trap.” When directed by the range master, the shooter on position #1 loads ONE shell. The shooter on position #1 when ready says “pull.” A target is launched and #1 shoots. Now the shooter on position #2 loads a shell and when ready says “pull.” Position #3 is next. Shooting continues in rotation until each shooter has fired 5 shots from that position. Each shooter then rotates one position to the right. Shooting continues in rotation until each shooter has fired 5 shots from each of the 5 positions. For a total of 25 shots.
There is one target throwing machine located in the middle front of the range. Targets are 4 ½ inch round clay disk. The machine oscillates, which may result in targets being ejected at a 44-degree angle left or right from the target house, or anywhere in between.
The targets are typically 30-40 yards downrange when hit. Most often, 12-gage shotguns are used with shells of 7.5 or 8 shot.
Trap shooting’s continual growth and expanding popularity is due to the fact that people of all ages, incomes and abilities can compete. Shooters as young as 9 shoot alongside mature shooters who have been shooting for 60+ years. This sport is enjoyed by both male and female shooters from all walks of life. Trap shooting is a sport which can be enjoyed by the entire family.
Match Safety Rules:
- No guns shall be loaded until the shooter is on the shooting station. “Loading” is putting any part of a loaded shell in any part of the gun.
- We are shooting at single targets, only load ONE shell in to the gun.
- The gun shall be unloaded before leaving the station or changing stations.
- When not on station, carry your gun with the breach open. Pump and autoloaders will have their bolts open. Fixed breach guns will be broken open.
- Eye and ear protection is required.
- The muzzle should always be pointed in a safe direction.
Held on the 2nd Saturday of each month at the Alma Range facility, starting at 9:30AM and on the 4th Saturday of each month at the Alma Range facility, starting at 1pm
Trap shooting is a fun sport for the whole family!! Come out and join us!
Cost is $6 per round and a round consists of 25 shots.